ace of spades | book review

by - January 07, 2022

 

"THEY SAY LOVE AND HATE ARE THE SAME, JUST AT DIFFERENT ENDS OF THE BLADE"

     When two Niveus Private Academy students, Devon Richards and Chiamaka Adebayo, are selected to be part of the elite school’s senior class prefects, it looks like their year is off to an amazing start. After all, not only does it look great on college applications, but it officially puts each of them in the running for valedictorian, too. 
Shortly after the announcement is made, though, someone who goes by Aces begins using anonymous text messages to reveal secrets about the two of them that turn their lives upside down and threaten every aspect of their carefully planned futures. 
As Aces shows no sign of stopping, what seemed like a sick prank quickly turns into a dangerous game, with all the cards stacked against them. Can Devon and Chiamaka stop Aces before things become incredibly deadly? 
With heart-pounding suspense and relevant social commentary comes a high-octane thriller from debut author Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé.

publication date: June 1st, 2021 | source: library 
page count: 432 | genre: mystery, thriller, contemporary, LQBTQIA+

Whatever I was expecting when I started this book, I take it all back. This was the first book I read in 2022 and it just threw my expectations out the damn window and has now earned my forever respect

I know I read way too many YA Mystery/Thriller novels but I’m not exactly sure why I started reading them. I’ve always found them interesting and I end up trying to predict what’s going to happen or who the antagonist is. Most of them have similar plot lines and usually don’t catch my eye unless something drastic happens or I’m unable to untangle everything. Though with all the mystery books I’ve read, it's become easier and easier to guess the plot and I end up getting bored halfway. Clearly, this wasn’t the case.

The story follows two Black teenagers, Chimaka and Devon, who are enrolled in a very prestigious and very white private school. In their senior year, they suddenly find themselves becoming the targets of an anonymous texter named Aces who are revealing their darkest secrets for the whole school to see. Amidst the cards stacked against them, the two must work together to turn the tide and bring the game over in their favor.

I don’t think there was anything I disliked too much about this book since I gave it a high rating. But there were some things where I wished we saw more of, one being Chimaka’s love life. Okay seriously, I was able to guess Devon’s sexuality within the first chapter with my inner gaydar going I sense a closeted gay here. And hey, my gaydar didn't fail. I remember being so caught up in Devon’s love life, and begging whatever deity up there that he ended up with a certain special someone. Who’s that someone you ask? Well, you’re going to have to read the book to find out cause I ain’t telling. Give me bubble tea and I’ll think about it though (kidding, please go read the book because it’s really good). Chimaka, on the other hand, had a smaller and not so focused on love life as Devon did. Which honestly I didn’t mind, but I would’ve loved to see more of. I unapologetically squealed for all the cute moments and I want a sequel please and thank you.

I loved how this book addressed heavier topics (racism, homophobia, elitism, white supremacy) while still sticking to the dynamic plotline of a thriller. The themes weren’t just lightly spoken about but were enhanced and just made me question society itself. I wasn’t too sold on the mystery at first since I’d seen similar plotlines in some other books I’ve read, but holy guacamole. This book just completely hurled my guess of the antagonist and my anticipations of this being just “another thriller book” off of Mount Olympus. Like Daughter of the Deep, I would unquestionably recommend this book to anyone and everyone regardless of the fact if you enjoy mystery/thriller novels or not. This book teaches a valuable lesson and I hope that reading this will open up your mind a little bit more.

FINAL RATING: 

What was the first book you read in 2022?







You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Is this a sign that I have to pick this book up again? It gave me so much second hand anxiety when I listening to it on audio so I ended up taking a break for a while - might try it physically to see if anything changes.

    riv @ dearrivarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes!
      Please go pick up this book and read it so I can ramble about it to you :D

      Delete