extraordinary you | k-drama book and playlist recommendation

by - January 23, 2022

 



First kdrama of 2022!! Did I barley finish this in time by the end of winter break and had to cram it in? Absolutely. Did I love this drama through every adorable and cringy scene? Through all my loving groans and awe's, 100% yes. Since I am now done wallowing in my post kdrama feels, I shall now deliver a book and playlist recommendation! 

EXTRAORDINARY YOU is a fantasy rom-com starring high school student Kim Hye-Yoon (Eun Dan-Oh) who has a heart disease and is told that she might not live past her teen years. She realizes that she is just a mere supporting character in the world of a Korean Webtoon. Upon meeting the mysterious character of Rowoon (Haru), Dan-Oh decides that she'll make her own fate, not one dictated by the artist. 

eun dan-oh - spin the dawn by elizabeth lim
+
i'm the greatest by taeyeon


Dan-Oh is stubborn, strong-willed, determined, and willing to do anything for her family and friends. Her heart of gold makes her the perfect kdrama female lead and one you'll easily fall in love with. Like Dan-Oh, Maia's fiercely protective of her family and is willing to do anything for them. And now I need a world where the two meet because that should be interesting to say the least. With the enchanting story of Spin the Dawn mixed with the powerful melody of I'm the Greatest, I can practically see Dan-Oh reading this book while listening to the song and rambling about everything to Haru. And possibly singing I'm the Greatest at the top of her lungs. Just possibly.


haru - the bird and the blade by megan bannen 
+
crown by txt


I have no shame in saying that Haru's an innocent but protective bean and I cannot describe a more perfect male lead in this drama. The old-fashioned yet beautiful story in The Bird and the Blade is definitely something Haru would love. Crown's lyrics honestly fit perfectly with Haru's personality. Unsure at first but now rising with the crown on his head that is Dan-Oh, showing him to shine like the star he is. The two are adorable and like every good kdrama, it took them forever to finally find their way to each other after. She became his crown and the two of them are finally perfect. Let them have their happy ending in peace, they definitely deserved it.


jung gun-joo - the never tilting world by rin chupeco
+
strawberry moon by iu


Jung Gun-Joo is a hecking puppy and must be protected at all costs. His hilarious reactions in all the scenes makes everything 10x funnier and I absolutely adore him. Of course with funny reactions must come a reaction worthy book. And The Never Tilting World is the perfect reaction book. As for Strawberry Moon, this may or may not be one of my favorite songs of all time and its just a song that makes you wish you were on a strawberry moon date. With being second choice, he deserves to be on a strawberry date more than anything and that is totally not because hes one of my favorite characters. Definitely. I can practically hear him singing along to this song and I will unapologetically sing along with him even if I don't know Korean.



jiminchae - the astonishing colors of after by emily x.r. pan
+
all night by astro


This character in this kdrama is literally named Kimchi Squid Fairy and he's my favorite character (along with Gun-Joo of course). His scenes and reactions with Gun-Joo were the peak of this kdrama and I love them both so much. I totally did not cry while reading this book and I am now recommending it to one of my characters knowing full well he'll probably cry as well. This book is really a work of art though and I can't imagine anyone more suited to read it.  All Night is honestly such a fitting song and I can just see him staying up all night on the phone with his special someone. It would be adorable so now I really need that to happen please and thank you. 


baek kyung - heartless by marissa meyer
+
hate that... by key ft. taeyeon

I am a horrible person and I am so sorry. But I can't lie that this book and song are basically made for Baek Kyung. And on the subject of not lying, Baek Kyung annoyed me so much in the kdrama for getting in the way and just being a jerk to poor Dan-Oh. Everytime he blew her off or was being an a-hole, I got so pissed off because like the dumb idiot I am, I know what it feels like to love someone for years on end and know that no matter how hard you try, they'll never feel the same about you as you do towards them. Heartless teaches an important lesson to treasure what you have right now before you lose it and I want to be the one to smack the lesson into Baek Kyung by making him read this book which will be very effective I'm sure. I think Hate That also expresses Baek Kyung's emotions quiet well when he hates that Dan-Oh is now happier without him and finally realizes that he should've treasured what he had and before he lost it. 



yeo ju-da - circe madeline miller
+
celebrity by iu

Ju-Da's character in the comic of the kdrama with being the bullied scolarship girl was honestly so cliche and I can now say for sure that bullying is so heavily dramaticized in dramas and movies. Coming from personal experience, it's honestly tiring to watch bullying be so cliche and treated as if thats what bullying really is. Because in reality, it's nothing like that and can be so much worse. I think Ju-Da will at least relate to Circe somewhat in the book since the two are always constantly looked down upon and hopefully learn to rise and stand up for herself like Circe did. Celebrity is just a song that reminds you that you're still a star even if drawn with a left hand. I hope Ju-Da knows that she is one because staged or not, no one should deserve to be treated that way. 


oh nam-joon - ace of spades by faridah àbíké-íyímídé
+
gorilla by pentagon

I literally just realized I'm suggesting the head of the A3 (Ace 3) read a book called Ace of Spades. Wow, I'm hilarious. Technically this book is leaning more towards white privilage and supremacy but practically every person is rich and popular in one way or another so I think that cancels some of it. But in all seriousness, this book really enhances some heavy topics and teaches a really important lesson that I hope Nam-Joo will at least learn from reading this. And for Gorilla, courtesy of big sister thank you for suggesting this song because it fits perfectly with Nam-Joo's personality and I cannot agree more. In hindsight, let's just say it's the rich and popular boy falling in love with the poor and bullied girl, defending her as the song would say, like a gorilla. 


FINAL RATING: 
What was the first film you watched in 2022?






You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. This is so good Saoirse, i love it! Good job :D

    -from Wyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. First film of 2022 was Encanto, which you know cause you were singing right next to me 🤣 but this was a great list! now i lowkey want to go back and reread all the astonishing colors of after and just ~feel~

    riv @ dearrivarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE DON'T TALK ABOUT BRUNO NO NO NO~~~
      The songs were v catchy and now I want to go rewatch it for the third time :D

      Delete