daughter of the deep | book review

by - January 03, 2022

 

"THE IMPOSSIBLE IS MERELY THE POSSIBLE FOR WHICH WE DON'T YET KNOW THE SCIENCE."


     Ana Dakkar is a freshman at Harding-Pencroft Academy, a five-year high school that graduates the best marine scientists, naval warriors, navigators, and underwater explorers in the world. Ana's parents died while on a scientific expedition two years ago, and the only family's she's got left is her older brother, Dev, also a student at HP. Ana's freshman year culminates with the class's weekend trial at sea, the details of which have been kept secret. She only hopes she has what it'll take to succeed. All her worries are blown out of the water when, on the bus ride to the ship, Ana and her schoolmates witness a terrible tragedy that will change the trajectory of their lives.
     But wait, there's more. The professor accompanying them informs Ana that their rival school, Land Institute, and Harding-Pencroft have been fighting a cold war for a hundred and fifty years. Now that cold war has been turned up to a full broil, and the freshman are in danger of becoming fish food. In a race against deadly enemies, Ana will make amazing friends and astounding discoveries about her heritage as she puts her leadership skills to the test for the first time.

publication date: October 26, 2021 | source: library
page count: 352 | genre: middle grade, fantasy, re-telling

Just when you thought Rick Riordan was done writing books: poof Daughter of the Deep is born! 

In all seriousness, I’ve been obsessed with all the books Riordan has released, and I should thank my older sister for funding this Greek Mythology-obsessed potato. (She bought all of the Heroes of Olympus books after I begged her and binge-read PJO for the millionth time while she complains her wallet is now empty but bought me the books nonetheless). I’ve always loved everything related to the PJO world and it taught me everything I needed to know about Greek Mythology. No seriously, ask me anything related to the said topic and I’ll rant for hours on end. 

I’ll admit, I wasn’t aware that there was a new book released in the fall, and with all the stress and workload given from school, I didn’t find as much time to read as I had during the summer. I remember I would spend endless hours curled up on the sofa listening to music and reading. Yet when I found the book sitting on the shelf at the library, I didn’t hesitate to grab it and check it out. 

I ended up finishing Daughter of the Deep the very same day I checked it out and as usual, this book was outstanding. Though I was slightly confused while reading it, I was immersed and couldn’t put the book down. The story follows Ana Dakkar, prefect of the House of Dolphin in the Harding-Pencroft Academy. While on a class field trip with the other freshman of her class, a tragic accident changes the course of their lives. Ana’s leadership skills are put to the test as she and her classmates fight for their lives in a war against their rival school: Land Institute. 

Ana’s leadership skills are exceptional and I loved watching her confidence grow throughout the book. The shy and quiet girl would go through tremendous character development and growth by the end of the book. I can say without a doubt, that Riordan wrote another masterpiece and I love every single book he’s released. I would unquestionably recommend this book to anyone and everyone, even if this book is set for middle grade, it’s still an extraordinary book that I know you can’t help but fall into the story.

FINAL RATING:

If you're a PJO fan, what cabin would you be in?

You May Also Like

0 comments