wanna be your star, hi we are astro

by - June 02, 2023

 


     I know I’ve been dead for like 3 months (probably 4 by the time I post this oops) but I wanted to write this post in dedication to someone. I’m sure you’ve all heard by now but it was reported on April 19th that ASTRO’s Moonbin has passed away. It’s only been a little bit since Rocky decided to leave the company and group but now AROHA’s are dealing with another loss so soon. ASTRO was one of the first groups I got into when I started listening to k-pop and I’ve never been happier to join a fandom. I’m writing this post as a sort of tribute to them and so many of the wonderful memories I’ve made over the last 3 years that I’ve known them. Basically that’s a fancy way of saying I’m pairing up my top 5 Astro songs with a book/book character that I think fits the overall vibe of the song so without further ado, grab some bubble tea and let’s get started.

julie from you've reached sam by dustin thao
+
our spring (astro's second full album: all yours)

     "Our Spring" has got to be my favorite ASTRO song of all time which is quite surprising considering it changed around a lot with each new song I was discovering from their earlier years. But when this song came out as a b-side from their third album All Yours, it automatically stole the top spot. With it’s comforting but catchy instrumental and lyrics, the song reminicents about a person they’ve once loved and I promise you that my soul acended when I heard this song because of course it did, Rocky wrote it. Jokes aside, I do think Julie matches quite well with the song considering the song reminicents about another person but also acknowledges the loss and parts once more. Julie’s grief and struggle through the course of the novel are insanely relatable but her character growth in the end is what makes the whole middle part of the book more worth it.




leigh from the astonishing color of after by emily x.r. pan
+
gemini (astro's second full album: all yours)

     This song. Makes me want to cry. Like genuinely curl up into a burrito and just bawl my eyes out type of cry. When I first heard this song I was in so much awe that so much emotions can be conveyed in a singular song and in a language I didn’t even speak. The vocals are seriously no joke people, this song made me acend to heaven. On a more serious note, I think that this song pairs up quite well with Leigh from the equally beautiful novel The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan which by the way, left me absolutely speechless when I read it because reading it exploded my brain. The amount of emotions throughout the book resonate with the equally powerful and depressing emotions in the song match up together perfectly and now I actually will cry so we’re moving on.



rosalind lang from foul lady fortune by chloe gong
+
light in the sky (astro's third full album: drive to the starry road)

     Can I go one review without mentioning Chloe Gong? Probably not because I haven’t read as much as a used to and I struggled with picking a book for the song and also choosing between 3 songs because they’re all just too mf good and I can’t pick just one. I’m not going to write that much for recapping this book because I’m pretty sure my last review was this book so just go read that to see me freaking out for the nth time about this book but its basically a sequel to the TVD and OVE duo and it has kick butt assasins and a classic fake marriage romance that will make you smile like an idiot. "Light in the sky" delivers an optimistic message about the power of love and the way it can change one's life which is basically Rosalind throughout the course of the book to Orion and I am an actual genius because I’m right. Basically go read the book and listen to the song because both are absolutely amazing and you should totally go do that right now. 



azure from the last tale of the flowerbride by roshani chokshi
+
waterfall (astro's eight mini album: switch on)

     Dude I love this song omg this brings back memories. When I heard the trailer for the song I was so excited and when the song came out I instantly fell in love with it despite the chorus being a little different than the trailer but still this song is beautiful and I’m pretty sure it was my ringtone for a good couple of months. ASTRO’s vocals are actually insane and the ability to convey so much emotion in a song is something that I absolutely adore them for and that will never change. When I looked at the English translation for the song, I started cackling because I have literally never been more proud of myself for placing a song and book together that fit so well. That being said, I think "Waterfall" goes really well with Azure from The Last Tale of the Flowerbride because the song just gives off emotional and dreamy vibes which, if you read the book you’d totally get why. If you haven’t, I highly recommend you check it out or wait for my review that I promise will eventually come out because I absolutely adored that book to not write a review about it. The writing in this book is the most confusing thing ever and I actually loved this it so much despite barely understanding anything so that should totally be a sign for you to read it because why not.



will solace from the sun and the star by rick riordan + mark oshiro
+
lights on (astro's seventh mini album: gateway)

     Look at the title of the song and look at who I paired it with. You cannot tell me I’m not a genius because I totally am. I genuinely think that this song might have been made for Will to profess is undying love for Nico again because the lyrics quite literally say so. The song is about someone supporting their loved ones during the hardest times and being their light in times of darkness. You look me in the mf face and tell me that is not our sunshine to our adoreable little ball of darkness; I fully stand by this theory and I will fight you (possibly) if necessary. Jokes aside, I loved the portrayal of truama in this book and Nico’s journey in learning to embrace himself with Will holding his hand tightly and lighting every step of the way. They’re perfect together and I could not be prouder of them for communicating their troubles to each other and finding a way to adapt with an open mind. Their love is so pure I swear the entire PJO world makes me want to believe in love again because I’ve never seen so many healthy relationships in my entire life.



Aaand that’s a wrap! I absolutely procrastinated on this review since my notions shows I started this review a couple days after I heard the news but I just couldn’t bring myself to write it because I was still so sad. I kept listening to their songs on Spotify and singing along while trying not to cry again but I knew I had to finish this review eventually. I love this group and all these boys with all my heart so much it hurts. Their laughters, music, and beautiful friendship got me through so much during COVID when I could barely smile anymore. I will always love and support them, wherever they are and no matter how far into a future. Moonbin, I miss you so goddamn much that it’s taking me a tremendous amount of effort not to cry right now as I write this but I trust that you’re happy up there right? AROHA’s will always remember you as the brightest moon who’s smile lit up the world. I miss you and I love you. I always will. I’m so glad I got to meet you and the rest of the group when I did, even if it wasn’t for long. Thank you ASTRO, for coming into my life and ensuring that I’ll never regret being an AROHA. 

Rest in peace Moonbin, we love you.

That’s all from me now, AROHA signing off <3




















You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. omg this made me so sad but happy at the same time >_<

    ReplyDelete