the girl who fell beneath the sea | colored pages book tour

by - February 21, 2022

 

"IS IT YOU THAT MAKES THE WORLD CRY, OR THE WORLD THAT MAKES YOU CRY?"

     Deadly storms have ravaged Mina’s homeland for generations. Floods sweep away entire villages, while bloody wars are waged over the few remaining resources. Her people believe the Sea God, once their protector, now curses them with death and despair. In an attempt to appease him, each year a beautiful maiden is thrown into the sea to serve as the Sea God’s bride, in the hopes that one day the “true bride” will be chosen and end the suffering.
Many believe that Shim Cheong, the most beautiful girl in the village—and the beloved of Mina’s older brother Joon—may be the legendary true bride. But on the night Cheong is to be sacrificed, Joon follows Cheong out to sea, even knowing that to interfere is a death sentence. To save her brother, Mina throws herself into the water in Cheong’s stead.
Swept away to the Spirit Realm, a magical city of lesser gods and mythical beasts, Mina seeks out the Sea God, only to find him caught in an enchanted sleep. With the help of a mysterious young man named Shin—as well as a motley crew of demons, gods and spirits—Mina sets out to wake the Sea God and bring an end to the killer storms once and for all.
But she doesn’t have much time: A human cannot live long in the land of the spirits. And there are those who would do anything to keep the Sea God from waking…

publication date: feburary 22nd, 2022 | source: tour/netgalley
page count: 336 | genre: historical fantasy

The Girl Who Fell Beneath The Sea is a beautiful debut novel enriched with mythology and fantasy. I got like serious deja vu and Daughter of the Moon Goddess vibes while reading this book which was hilarious and I enjoyed it so much. Like any good fantasy novel, it teaches the importance of family and made me wish I was in a fantasy world with magical beings and yummy food. Excuse me while I acquire my bubble tea and let’s get this review started!

The story opens up with introducing the world where storms rage and in order to appease the Sea God in hopes the storms will calm, one bride must be sacrificed to him every year. Except this year, Mina takes the place of Shim Cheong, the original bride and her older brother’s lover, in hopes of saving her brother. In doing so, she enters the Spirit Realm and finds out that things are a lot more messier down there than up in her world. She’s given a month to find out how to fix the curse of the Sea God or her soul is to remain trapped in the Spirit Realm.

This book has been gettin a reputation of being similar to Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away which was definitely interesting to read since I adore all of Studio Ghibli’s films. The first half of the book where Mina is wandering the unfamiliar Spirit Realm is somewhat similar to Chihiro wandering around so I can see the connection. But the two go on seperate paths later on, though still end amazingly. I do think it would be interesting if Mina and Chihiro met considering they both went through an interesting time in a world filled with spirits. Now that’s a crossover I would definitely check out.

I absolutely adore all the characters in the book and Namgi is 101% my favorite. I need fictional characters to be real I swear. I honestly felt so bad for the Emperor cause the poor dude kept getting rejected by Mina cause her heart belongs to Shin so now I feel justified in saying that he needs a partner ASAP. Mask, Dai, and Miki just melted my heart and I freaked out at the end of the book. Hyeri and Shinki are like couple goals, and I loved every moment that was spent with them in the book. Shim Cheong and Mina’s brother Joon were also couple goals and what is it with this book and adorable couples making me feel single. Ahem. Anyway. Kirin is a little stone faced and cold which was like a bit exasperating but his chemistry with Namgi was adorable and I need a second book starring the two of them please and thank you.

In the end, this book just emphasizes the importance of family and I honestly want to give everyone in the book a hug because of how much emotion was just piling up towards the end. Like if you were going to write something that sweet at least prepare some tissues. I would absolutely recommend this book and I hope that if you did pick this up, you’ll enjoy it as much as I did. Axie Oh, you really did an incredible job in writing this novel and I could not have enjoyed it more.

FINAL RATING:



- P L A Y L I S T -


thank you so much to Colored Pages Tours for allowing me to participate on this fantastic tour!


- A U T H O R  B I O -

Axie Oh is a first-generation Korean American, born in New York City and raised in New Jersey. She studied Korean history and creative writing as an undergrad at the University of California San Diego and holds an MFA in Writing for Young People from Lesley University. Her passions include K-pop, anime, stationery supplies, and milk tea, and she currently resides in Las Vegas, Nevada, with her dog, Toro (named after Totoro). She is the author of multiple books for teens, including The Girl Who Fell Beneath the Sea.

"HUMANS TELL MYTHS TO EXPLAIN WHAT THEY CANNOT UNDERSTAND" 






You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. the song selection is A+++ and omg a book following just namgi and kirin would be so good!

    riv @ dearrivarie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in favor of a sequel starring our favorite beans ✋🏼

      Delete